All you need to know about Google's new browser: Chrome
Tue, Sep 2 2008 4:08 PM
Google's browser will be launched tomorrow but there is already a lot known about the browser.
- It will use webkit which is already in use by: Safari, Konquerer, Google's Android, Nokia browser and some others.
- Each tab will have it's own process, so when it crashes it only brings down the tab not the whole browser.
- There will be a task / process manager keeping track of all the processes and things happening with them including plugins used on a tab by tab base.
- An intelligent addressbar, same thing which is happening with IE8 / FF3
- New tabs will open an opera quickstart kind of page with 9 quick select slots and most used search terms
- No auto popups, popups will be confined to their own tabs (I smell problems here)
- Google Gears included
- Fully open source
My expectations are that this browser will become a very populair choice and will be eating away at Firefox market share in a pretty short time.
This also means that the webkit engine is one to be tested for with so many backers this engine will only continue to grow, and for me safari for windows seems pretty fast, which means that this browser will probably be even faster.