As the economy is gaining momentum the phones start to ring more often. And now and then a recruiter (or even worse, a headhunter) has the desire to speak with me. I find it rather rude that a person who doesn't know me personally uses my name to bluff his/her way passed my team-secretary and starts to consume my time, my clients time and the time of my current employer. The succes-rate of these phone-calls in the 12 years of my professional career: 0%.
And these are the reasons:
- I want to know which company wants to hire me
- I want to know if the new job at least matches my current salary, option scheme, lease car, insurance
- I want to know if the management structure equals the structure at my current employer
- I want to know what the team spirit is at the new job
- I want to know what is in it for the recruiter/headhunter
My call script ends most of the times after question 1...
So, if any recruiter/headhunter is brave enough to give me a realistic answer to these question when I get him/her on the phone, maybe I will accept a job-offer as an QuickBasic programmer.