"AjaxControlToolkit is undefined"
Because we were still using an old Visual Studio 2005 solution which included a Web Site project, it was time to upgrade. We upgraded our Visual Studio 2005 solution to Visual Studio 2010 (and .NET 4.0), converted the Web Site Project to a Web Application Project and then, of course, the AjaxControlToolkit had to follow. I downloaded the latest build from their Codeplex site and updated the references in the different projects. I ran the website, and that’s where things got ugly…
Most pages worked nicely, but there were a few that gave an “AjaxControlToolkit is undefined” error. I removed all references to the AjaxControlToolkit, removed all the old versions of it from my machine, referenced the most recent version again, all to no avail. After Googling* Binging the error I found a LOT of possible solutions. These included:
- Use the ToolkitScriptManager from the AjaxControlToolkit in stead of the built-in ScriptManager
- When using the ToolkitScriptManager, set CombineScripts to false
- When using the ToolkitScriptManager, set EnablePartialRendering to true
- Clear the browser cache
- Clear the ASP.NET Temporary Files directory
Hope this helps.
* Of course this is a weak attempt at a joke, but fact is that Google (the first 7 or so pages) only pointed me in the direction of the solutions that weren’t solutions for my situation. When I tried Bing for a change, I found something that put me on the right track pretty fast. Kudos to Bing!