Running Vista; I think not!
I’ve made my decision, I’m rolling back to Windows XP.
I’ve been using Vista on my laptop on which I perform my daily work. Some problems I’ve come across:
- Visual Studio 2005 doesn’t behave as I want it to, for example extreme slow startups
- It’s very hard to debug IIS examples from internet as they’re all IIS6 and Vista uses IIS7
- All kinds of program lock up randomly, blocking other applications
- Windows Explorer shows random behavior (like multi-selection of files doesn’t work anymore)
- Multiple applications that don’t seem to work anymore. Most have though.
- The sidebar I’ve never ever used. It’s useless up until now. Especially because going to the desktop means the sidebar will hide as well.
There were some things I liked, like
- Search inside start menu. I’ll have to replace it by Slickrun or so.
- The address bar in Windows Explorer where folders have been split up and clickable.
- The new graphics. I loved it in the beginning, now I don’t notice it anymore.
- The new system-tray icons. Connecting to a VPN connection, setting up sound and power plan was very handy.
- IIS7 and WAS. It’s a shame I can’t do WCF WAS demos in WinXP! 🙂
I have no idea when I’ll install Windows XP, but I’m sure going back. Can’t live with the shortcomings of Vista.